Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mommy, I Want You To Be Happy

"Love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark...
to have been loved so deeply...
will give us some protection forever."
J.K. Rowling

As a little girl, Mother's Day for me meant another excuse to wear the pretty new dress that had been previously showcased on Easter Sunday, but this time accessorized with a pink carnation neatly pinned on the left side, just over my heart. Going to the florist to pick up two pink flowers for me and my mom, and a white one for my grandmother was a highlight of the weekend. That, and hearing my mom say how much she loved whatever macaroni and fresh glue-glob craft I presented her with after Sunday School. It made me smile. It was a happy day.

Then I grew up.

That's not to say that Mother's Day is not still a happy day, because it is. Let's just say it's an emotionally complex day:
  • The loss of my maternal grandmother gave me my first taste of the bitter-sweetness of the day. Suddenly it occurred to me what she must have felt all the years that she wore what I thought of as a pretty white flower, never really stopping to think about what it signified in her life.
  • I've had a ring-side seat over the years as both my own parents and my husband's parents lost their mothers, observing grief and the myriad of ways they have individually sought a new normal without the women who brought them into the world.
  • When I became a mother through adoption, I quickly learned that it is possible to feel elation and devastation simultaneously. The gift of a beautiful baby boy for me meant profound loss for his birth mom. I carry this amazing young woman in my heart every day along with the juxtaposition of emotion that will never go away.
  • A little more than a week ago, the woman who has been my best friend more of my life than not gave her mother permission to step into eternity and be fully healed. Her loss is my loss because we are connected that way, and because when you grow up in a small town as we did, everyone else's parents are yours too.
  • Then there is the amazing beach week I just spent with my mother. Watching her picking up shells and wading knee deep into frigid water whose pounding waves made it look like she'd been in waist deep, all for the little boy who calls her Mimi. Wishing I possessed a fraction of her patience for Play-Doh and stickers. Memorizing her face, her voice, her hands, her laugh.
The fact is, if we live long enough, Mother's Day, and every other holiday, birthday or special occasion, eventually becomes melancholy. The sin and brokenness of this world touches us via the outstretched fingers of death and relational wounds, marring days that should be filled with life and laughter. 

So, experience and wisdom have brought me to this junction, a crossroads where idealism and humanity collide. It is my purpose from here forward, on Mother's Day and every other day, to embrace both the heights of joy and the depths of grief - not just my own, but that of those around me. To feel it all. To enter into it willingly. Because One before me did the same. Not because He had no choice, but so that He could fully identify in every way with those He loved. 

"In your relationships with one another, 
have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 
Who...made himself nothing 
by taking the very nature of a servant...
And...humbled himself by becoming obedient to death --
even death on a cross!"
Philippians 2:5-8

A few weeks ago the phone rang, a Face Time call from Peru. But instead of a typical conversation with my South American family, this chat delivered a blow - one of my "fur babies" at El Jardin had passed away. Being the dog lover that I am, my heart was broken and I cried. In the moment it did not occur to me that Toby had never seen me cry like that before or that his two-year-old brain was scrambling to make sense of what was happening. I regained most of my composure and we went about our normal bedtime routine.

After several sloppy goodnight kisses he headed off to his room so his daddy could tuck him in. Seconds later, when he should have been in bed, I heard the sound of Little Man's feet on the floor. He rounded the corner in a dead run, headed straight for me, huge crocodile tears flying from his eyes. Bounding up into my lap, he threw his arms around my neck and said, "I not want you to be sad, Mommy; I want you to be happy!"

Isn't that really all any of us wants for our mommies?

(In Loving Memory of Glendel Marie Ashley.  See you soon, Tootsie! We will pick up where we left off when I get there...)

2 comments:

  1. Most of my life, Mother's Day has been sour and full of loss while I tried to put on a good face so as to not hurt the other mother figures in my world. When I became a mother, instead of getting easier, it just got more profoundly difficult because guilt was slapped right on top of every other emotion. Now sadness and loss for my mom, pretention and conflict for my amazing step-mom and mother in law who deserved to be celebrated, then guilt for not being happy because I'm now a mom and "what a special day this is." And then I lost my Gma. She was the last true "mom" left that was untouched by all the ugly emotions above. I don't want to enter into this particular holiday w an open heart and let myself feel things bc they don't feel good. But here are these two beautiful, innocent, wide-eyes babies who want to sing "Happy Mother's Day" to the tune of Happy Birthday and give me freshly-picked dandelions from the yard. It's hard, Pamelita. And every ounce of my generally-optimistic self is at war on Mother's Day. But I'm blessed. And I'm grateful. Just all of the bittersweets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My precious friend! It IS hard. And it is bittersweet for everyone at some point. And for others it's tainted by baggage from the past. And maybe even some ugliness of the present. I know for you it's pieces of all of this wrapped up in one. But you are one of the strongest women I know. Don't wave the white flag and surrender this war. Look deep into the eyes of those dandelion picking, Happy Mother's Day singing babies who want, who need you to be the cycle breaker for them and show them the beauty of this day that God has raised up from the ashes of your pain. Show them that their desire to celebrate the most incredible gift of a mommy that God has given them is right and good. The war is yours to win - for your girls and for future generations that will come through them. Love you so very much!

    ReplyDelete